Lamington Protein Balls
- 2 scoops Whey or Collagen protein powder
- 200g dried pitted dates
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (plus extra to roll the protein balls in)
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sugar-free strawberry jam (for the centre of your lamington protein balls)
- Place dates, protein powder, cacao powder, desiccated coconut, almond meal, maple syrup and vanilla essence into a food processor, blender or Nutribullet, and blend until ingredients are finely chopped and stick together (you should be able to take a small amount of the ingredients and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hand). It should hold together well. If the mix is too wet and sticks to your hand, add more almond meal and blend again; alternatively, if it does not stick together, add a small amount of water and blend again.
- Once you have achieved your desired consistency, take a tablespoon of the mixture at a time and roll it into a ball. Place the ball onto a plate and gently push the end of a round wooden spoon (or you can use your pinky finger) into the ball to create a hole (don’t push it all the way through). Then using a teaspoon, fill each hole with ½ a teaspoon of strawberry jam. Grab a small amount of the mixture, flatten it out slightly and place it over the hole. Gently smooth it down around the sides and roll the ball around in your hand again to ensure the jam is firmly trapped in the centre of the ball.
- Roll the ball through some desiccated coconut, place it back onto your plate and repeat until you have used up all of your ‘lamington’ protein mixtures. Place the balls into the fridge for an hour before serving.